In the first phase of implementation, work in the area of Financial Aid focused on aligning systems and ensuring compliance with federal aid regulations. Tom McDermott was hired as Assistant Vice Provost for Student Financial Services; in this university-wide role, Tom has led efforts to design and implement financial aid foundational shared services and strengthen the university’s compliance related performance. Much of the work in this area focused on streamlining document management (via a platform called OnBase), along with assessment of other tools to assist with greater compliance performance and student service delivery.
Currently, efforts are being focused on laying the foundation for a shared services organization that would handle registration, financial aid and student accounts processes across the divisions. More information about the vision for this organization can be found on our future state vision page.
- Hired an assistant vice provost to coordinate financial aid compliance, systems and process alignment across the university enterprise
- Centralized Return to Title IV (R2T4) Refund Processing
- Centralized Federal Verification (for all Undergraduate students)
- Implemented Workflow solutions university wide to standardize and streamline Loan Processing, Return to Title IV Refund Processing, and financial aid document processing
- Deployed a secure web solution (OnBase) enabling students to upload financial aid application materials using SIS (current students) and Slate (Prospective students)
- Enhanced customer service through the deployment of a financial aid call center serving all Homewood students that operates 8am – 7pm Monday - Friday
- Migrated Financial Aid processing to new PowerFAIDS Cloud environment
- Hired Director of Financial Aid Shared Services (Sarah Mariner)
- Implemented a new financial aid literacy platform and AI Chatbot (AskJay) in select schools
- Finalizing details of a future state operating model that would support Financial Aid, Billing and Registration
- Recruiting of staff for centralized Financial Aid operations
- Finalizing Workflows for certain processes (Appeals, Packaging Review/Exceptions, Reconciliation)
- Partnering with local vendor to pilot platform for scanning data points / signals to create attitudinal categories and targeted messaging to students
- Implementing AskJay in additional JHU schools
- Extending visitor management and ticketing system to Student Accounts and Registration
Thomas “Tom” McDermott is the Assistant Vice Provost for Financial Aid at Johns Hopkins. Prior to this position, which was created in response to a recommendation coming from the assessment phase, Tom served as the University Financial Aid Officer.
In addition to Tom, here are names of staff across the university involved in efforts pertaining to Financial Aid: